Monday, March 1, 2010

Bible in 90 Days--Check In #8

Shocker: I'm still behind!

This week my heart has been heavy for an older gentleman and his wife. They were the first ones to welcome me to my current church and were a great support to me in the college ministry where I worked. We said our good-byes to him three years ago when the doctors had given up all hope. He was ready to meet Jesus then, but the Lord has seen fit to keep him here on earth. This past week, he fell and broke his hip, but he has refused all treatment. On Thursday he had to be moved from rehabilitative care back to the hospital because he had contracted pneumonia and then it was discovered that his kidneys were failing. He has fought the good fight and is ready to see Jesus. Friday his family and he agreed to begin hospice care, so he is being kept comfortable. He and his wife "celebrated" their 66th wedding anniversary on Saturday. I've spent a lot of time this weekend reading II Corinthians 4 and 5. Our earthly tents are so fragile, but our heavenly dwelling awaits us. What a blessing to know that Mr. S will soon see our Savior face-to-face.

In Jeremiah 17, there is a reference to a dry wasteland where there is no water. We are like that when we are separated from God and His word. I really "got" that word picture when I was reading through Jeremiah at night on my travels from Oklahoma to the Pacific Northwest and drove through northern Utah and southern Idaho. The only land that was green were the areas that had irrigation systems. The rest of the land was a dry and sandy area. How like my life when I am away from God and the living water of His word! I have nothing to offer to anyone. But when I am rooted and growing, being fed and watered by His wonderful word and time with Him, I am much more fruitful.

If you've been reading your Bible in 90 days or have just made a commitment to read your Bible daily, don't give up! If you fall behind or miss a day, dust yourself off, and "get back on the horse!" It's like in weight loss, if you have a bad day or a bag of chips, don't give up! Start over with the next meal or the next day. And on that note, I've lost 12 lbs so far!

For more updates, head on over to Mom's Toolbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a (nice) note!